I found TVersity was lacking in terms of it's ability to keep running. The service crashed on my PC and seemed to take longer than I'd expect to stream films.
The actual quality of the films wasn't too hot either, but certainly considering the software was free I had zero expectation so wasn't really disappointed.
I stumbled upon another package name Orb. Their site does a good job of explaining what the software does, but in a nutshell:
- Your PC securely broadcasts it's presence to the Orb site.
- Via the Orb site, you can browse music, photos, videos located on your home PC
- Supports the Wii, iPhone, Smartphones, etc.. Most UPMP's
- Allows you to access ALL your files on your PC
- Allows you to upload to your PC
Pretty good features for free software.
I found the media streaming quality to be really good and the features suitable to my need.
One really neat feature. There are a bunch of links to Flash games suitable for playing on the Wii. All the games are free, so basically I just found a bunch of free games. Most are poor, but a few are pretty good.
I realised while playing with this stuff that my home PC is woefully underpowered. It's time to upgrade... Maybe TVersity will run better with new kit?
Maybe? I? Could? get a TV card too to watch streaming Internet television stations on my regular TV in the front room?