Friday 8 August 2008

Like A Hole In The Head

When I was a kid, I had a lot of time on my hands, most kids do. I chose to spend a fair whack of it playing games on the Commodore 64, the Spectrum, Amstrad, Amiga, Megadrive, Saturn, etc...

i.e. I played a hell of a lot of games.

One of my friends who I played games with in those days recently said he didn't think he'd be alive when a game as good as GT4 came out (yes, GT5 looks better).

However, I've just finished looking at footage for GRID for the PC.

Take a look at this video if you can
http://uk.gamespot.com/video/939158/6191707/grid-crash-damage-engine-demonstration

For me, I was always aware the graphics side would reach these levels, and clearly will continue to improve. But the physics engine that demo shows just looks utterly stunning.

So, do I need another game on my list of things to play? No more than a hole in the head.

But it's still utterly stunning what developers can achieve these days.

(yes, probably will end up getting this, looks far too nice to miss out on).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pretty amazing physics-system with that game. However - it still is just moving a car around a track.

Like you mentioned on Flickr - there don't seem to be many great game-play games, matched up with great graphics. Myst eventually got to that kind of level, though I found the navigation system a bit stifling.

It's all about instant gratification, with little brain-engagement.

Mark Aitken said...

I've been reading little bits about rogue developers leading large corporates and stemming back to 'bedroom' coding.

They want freedom of choice and no politics.

Tricky thing is that without money, you lose freedom.

But people like Jeff Minter show it can be done, however he doesn't on the face of it look to be rolling in cash, who knows though?

On your point, I'm hopeful that some of these bedroom coders come up with more of the niché games we all grew up with and loved.

Who knows. Maybe there is a movement in Open Source games coming out way soon?