Friday 25 April 2008

Hardy Heron

Downloaded Ubuntu tonight, the latest build Hardy Heron.

Installation was so very simple you could knock me down with a feather... Wireless connection was up and running first time round. Left me feeling quite amazed to be honest at how straightforward setup could be.

When did Linux get this simple, and so complete?

Gonna make a point of trying to use Linux day to day at home and see if I can swap over to it. The commercial games aspect is the only real reason I can see at the moment to keep on Windows...

Otherwise it's all in there off the bat with no hard work :-)

Try saying that with Vista...

3 comments:

LornaJane said...

I think I'm technologically literate and when I recently got a new machine with vista pre-installed it took 40 minutes to get the thing connected to the wireless network.

*hugs kubuntu* Enjoy Heron :)

Mark Aitken said...

Absolutely!

I'm amazed at the technical achievement Lorna. Getting an experience out of the box like that as slick as that is quite impressive.

My current agenda, but I haven't start it yet, is to get Ubuntu booting from a USB stick (if the perf is there) and having an OS which is mobile.

I'm guessing that tonight a 10 minute search will show me how and what the perf is like.

Mark Aitken said...

See, I couldn't help myself...

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28/usb-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-install/#more-243

Time to get a slightly larger USB key (512Mb won't hack it...)